This isn’t the first project I’ve done for Christina but I’m going to tell you about it first because sometimes things make more sense in reverse. A few months ago, as I delivered a pair of painted side tables she told me she wanted to find a large dresser to repurpose as a tv stand in her family room.
Soon after, I came across this dresser on a local rummage sale site.
The seller had planned to refinish it before losing a fight with an outdoor swing set. Two shoulder surgeries later, she hung back as Dave and I transferred it from her truck to mine. Back at the house we lugged the dresser into the living room where it sat for a couple of weeks.
I had to wait until I finished a large desk & hutch combo before I could get started on the dresser-to-entertainment-center conversion. Since it was entirely too heavy to move up and down the basement stairs, I used it as a base and painted the other pieces right there in the living room.
It was kind of nice to watch tv while I worked. I’m sure Dave loved having my crap spread all over the main level of the house.
Once I started, it didn’t take too long to get the cabinet base and drawers painted. Then I got to work removing the finish and stain from the top.
Then removed the top drawer guides before measuring / cutting 1/4″ thick plywood shelving.
The plan was for their electronics to live on the upper level and use the lower drawers for media storage. I removed the center door completely and painted the space inside. Then I stained up the drawer stretchers and installed the plywood sheets.
If you look closely, you’ll see brass bi-fold door hinges on the face frame of the top left drawer hole. While the wood was nice enough to leave the top shelf open, I knew Christina wanted to hide their electronic gadgets. So, I removed the drawer fronts, painted and stenciled them in a pattern she was keen on.
To tie into the walnut top, I stained over my stencil darkening the white paint slightly. After it dried, I sanded the paint down a bit to pull the grain out.
Then I installed the new shelf and posted this teaser photo on Facebook to prove I was actually getting things done.
Plus, I really wanted to freak her out and let her think I was leaving the hardware gold!
I didn’t have to do anything to the drawers other than swap out the pulls. (how cool is that old paper lining??)
Seriously, Christina was such a sport. This project took way longer than planned because I had (5) things going at once. I suppose that’s the downfall of having a second ‘workspace’ upstairs. That and all the crap taking over the place…
Check out how fast I moved to get this piece finished and delivered. #warpspeeddiy
Dave snapped photos as I finished installing the drop-down door hardware and back slats. Then, we loaded ‘er up and headed over to Christina’s…where I fully expected we’d set the piece up in the family room as planned.
But – sometimes furniture has a mind of its own.
It never made it passed the living room.
On the up side, this is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door.